Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement deal in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 on which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon followed and the Township was structured in 1858 covering 81 square a long way. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph attained its current name in 1870. Many settlers came for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Town was integrated in 1890. As the township grew, so does the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a public well, build and repair wooden sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a challenge and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized, which is currently the St. Joseph Fire Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was thriving with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the households after multiple many years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering the time to milk cows so more time could be spent on crops and canine care. Soon after, World War 1 required many St. Joseph Missourr farmers to leave their homes to deal with.
After the war ended individuals were able to get their lives back on track, at least for a while, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in place so lots of the farmers considered making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. With all the depression effecting everyone in town, the city needed to keep together as part of your. Through a national offer, the Council could hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially moved into the US into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens were given out since many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph possessed a population of around 1050, losing 10 heroic military to the warfare. The community continued to be strong and ongoing to enhance the Village, adding a normal water tower in 1949, plus a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph started fluoridating its water supply, and continues to take action.